Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Bride of Christ should be... Masculine?

I hope to post something in-depth about this later, but until then, here's a gem of an article about John Piper's recent claim that the church of Christ should have a decidedly "masculine feel." Really? I'm not sure where to begin in explaining why this is bad theology... Until I'm ready to say something more, feel free to read the article and leave your comments.

P.S. The titles that I restrained myself from using for this post included, "John Piper suggests sex change for Bride of Christ" and "John Piper says Bride of Christ should be mannish." Sometimes, I crack myself up...

3 comments:

Debbie Kaufman said...

Oh brother....I mean sister...I mean :)

Paul Burleson said...

Emily,

Your P.S. was better than many of the posts I've read today on some blogs. I'm still laughing.

Dana Buckner said...

...Thanks for this, Emily. May I be so bold as to ad that my sense is that Jesus himself would never assign either masculine or feminine attributes to God, or God's church... God being One...inclusive of all, and transcendent to all arbitrary polarities which man (and woman) superimpose on their institutions, including of course, the church.