Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Sharing something cool...

Writing for contract is always iffy. That is to say, you never know what the editors are going to do with your work once you submit it. In the past, I've done some contract writing that turned out very badly (for me, at least). In that instance, the editor (who shall remain nameless) changed my work almost beyond recognition, even after some intense interaction about my objections to their alterations.

All this is to say, recently I had the privilege of writing for Dr. Ergun Caner, someone I consider a personal friend, even if we differ on most major theological issues (as well as method of argumentation), and even if I could never teach for him at Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary. (Yes, we've actually discussed this.) Nonetheless, I am very happy with the way my articles on "Feminism" and "the Gender of God" were edited and published in his recent volume The Popular Encyclopedia of Apologetics.

I share this with you for a number of reasons. First, its always exciting to have something published. Always. And, who doesn't want to share that excitement with others? Second, I think the way Ed Hindson and Ergun Caner edited my work was gracious and fair. Major props to them. And, third, I think its super-cool that, despite my difference of perspective, I got to write in the same volume as many other capable (and conservative) writers, as one of only two female writers.

Finally, in case you're interested, while I haven't read the entire volume, I have found most of the articles (ranging from Abortion to Zoroastrianism) thoughtful and informative. For this reason, I recommend the volume to you as a "popular" resource, even if, depending on your point of view, you may have to temper the conservative perspective. But, I'll leave that for you to judge.

11 comments:

David Phillips said...

You know, I wondered how that had happened. Great for you!!!

Hope you are well...

Sandra Wood Peoples said...

Emily- Rebecca Groothuis writes that egalitarinism is not grounded in feminism. I'm thinking through that argument and wondered what you thought! http://menandwomenleaderstogether.blogspot.com/2008/06/basics-of-biblical-equality-belief_12.html

Luke said...

congrats on the publishing! that is a big deal. the current route of apologetics kinda freaks me out, but historically, i get it. what are your thoughts on this?

traveller said...

Thanks for sharing this with your readers. I will be intersted to read your portion.

Emily Hunter McGowin said...

Luke, what is the "current route," of which you speak? I'm not very familiar with apologetics as a discipline right now, so I'm afraid that I'm a bit out of the loop.

Emily Hunter McGowin said...

Sandra, I'll take a look at Dr. Groothuis' argument and get back to you. Offhand, I would say that one's answer depends upon how one defines "feminism" and "egalitarianism." Thanks for the heads-up!

debbiekaufman said...

A huge Congratulations, and you are right this is very cool. Now if all the SBC could do that, I would be a happy camper. I'm really gonna tell people I know who you are now. :)

UnderMidnight said...

you continue to be a force of nature.

traci said...

yeah!!! way to go emily. very proud of you. lots of love from down south...

Luke said...

i guess the current route would be the "case for Christ" and such like books that don't really make a case, just advance a claim. there's not hard questions being asked. i'm not too familiar with appologetics myself, just wanted to get your opinion!

thanks!

UnderMidnight said...

apologetics.
Isn't that what we would have to engage in every time jerry falwell opened his mouth?