Thursday, May 22, 2008

Random Thoughts

Well, my friend Josh tagged me last week and I was so out of the loop, I missed it completely. So, here I am making up for my oversight with six random thoughts from me or about me this week.

1. The weather in Cincinnati is simply gorgeous right now: sunny, breezy, and 70 degrees. I love throwing all the windows open during the day to let the wind blow through. During the winter, our three cats (Jonah, Elijah, and Jezebel), lived on the second floor, where the heat always hovered. But now, they jostle for shiny spots of warm sunshine on the woods floors of the first level. Its a very serene experience to watch a glossy black cat sleep soundly in the middle of the floor: vulnerable, exposed, and yet infinitely peaceful.

2. I have been painting our home over the past few weeks. Our living room and kitchen are now "Bonjour Beige," our master bedroom is "Eminence" blue, and our two-story foyer is "Fresh Sage." Although I am not very fond of the strenuous work involved in painting, I love seeing a finished project. And, it seems that with every fresh coat of paint, with every picture on the wall, I can settle more comfortably into our Ohio environment. It makes me think of the way a puppy turns and turns and turns in place until the surface is just right for them to settle in for a nap.

3. I've been listening to NPR reports about the recent tragedies in China and Burma. While I have shed tears over the testimonies from survivors and family members, somehow my emotion feels empty and vacuous. I have to confess that in the face of enormous, senseless tragedies like the cyclone in Burma and the earthquake in China, I entertain doubts about my faith. Does Christianity really have the answer for these desperate, suffering people? Does the message of Jesus really offer them anything? I think so, but tragedy challenges me to firm up my reasons why.

4. Just like most Americans, I have been following the close Democratic race for the presidential nomination. But, at the end of the day, I am increasingly weary of the whole media circus and political horse race. No matter who becomes our next Commander in Chief, he or she is not Jesus and cannot bring peace, justice, and righteousness to the world. God is making all things new in Christ and if you're not on board with that plan, then you're missing out--even if you are the leader of the free world.

5. Our youngest "son," Cooper, is a fawn boxer. He's goofy, fun-loving, and exceedingly affectionate. We've discovered over the last few months that he has a pancreatic condition that can be fatal, if it is not treated and monitored. Although we cannot afford the best medicine available, we're doing what we can to provide him with the right food and care. Every once and while, he has a "flare up," when he'll stop eating and drinking and is visibly in severe pain. When this happens, I am deeply concerned for him. I'll bring him up to sit with me on the couch (which is quite a feat, with a 70 pound dog), massage his neck, and even give him water from a dropper. I don't know if I'm supposed to love a dog this much, but I do.

6. For dinner a few nights ago, I made home-made vegan pizza. Tempeh sausage crumbles, vegan mozzarella, fresh fennel slices, chopped garlic, and red potato slices, over marinara sauce, on a crust made from sweet potatoes and wheat flour. It was fantastic. You can find this and more vegan recipes in Vegan with a Vengeance, by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. (BTW: Tempeh is cultured and fermented soybeans in a cake form. With the right spices, it makes a kick-awesome meat substitute.)

Thanks for reading my random thoughts. Now, I tag my friend, Debbie.

3 comments:

Debbie Kaufman said...

This is good stuff. I don't know if I can come close, but I see your tag and will rise to the challenge. Thanks.

CharlieMac said...

We had a beloved "Grand-dog" Benny who had liver and pancreas problems. (Caused by a nephew who fed him chocolate.) He would not eat and threw up if he did. Our vet was about to give up on saving him. He was an old time vet and at his suggestion we bought a few of the greasiest fried chicken thighs available and fed them to him just a little at a time.
Benny's recovery was nothing short of a miracle. He lived several years longer.

traveller said...

I like random thoughts......