Sunday, February 10, 2008

Becoming a vegetarian

For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love. - Pythagoras

My dear readers, I would like to recommend the following blog series from pastor and theologian Greg Boyd about his pilgrimage to vegetarianism. I have recently made a similar journey, but not for the same reasons that Boyd expounds. Indeed, my life change began as a simple concern for better health, but the conviction behind my decision has morphed into something deeper. Perhaps I will write more about this another time, but for now, enjoy Boyd's reflections on an often unappreciated (and sometimes even scorned) lifestyle choice in evangelical Christianity.

3 comments:

allhokie said...

Is your husband a vegetarian too? I have cut way back on meat, but because I eat dinner most nights with a carnivore, I haven't been able to cut it out completely. It just doesn't seem appropriate to eat another creature. It's also pretty bad for the environment. Large scale animal farms and processing facilities are large scale polluters.

Emily Hunter McGowin said...

No, Ronnie is not a vegetarian (yet). He does fast from meats one week a month, so I try to use that opportunity to prove the possibility of good vegetarian eating. Of course, I'm still a newbie at this, so I'm not always successful. Throughout the rest of the time, I usually make meat on the side for him. The only problem with that is that I am beginning to be nauseated by the smell of cooking meat, especially beef. So... we'll see what happens.

traveller said...

Emily, about twenty years ago I started eating a lot less meat and grew to love vegetables. While I am not necessarily a vegetarian at all times I do eat comparatively little meat. It is interesting how over the years my tastes have changed radically. It is not at all common for me to go relatively long periods without meat since I enjoy veggies so much.

Just make sure you get enough iron with spinach and other iron rich vegetables.