Saturday, December 15, 2007

My boundary lines have fallen in pleasant places...

If you had any trees uprooted or windows blown out of your home this weekend, I am sincerely sorry. It was only me as I exhaled a great sigh of relief after finishing up my Master's of Divinity program at Truett Theological Seminary. Graduation was yesterday evening and I now have possession of the piece of paper that says I have a Master's degree. It is a little scary.

I wish I had something profound and deep to say about the end of this phase of my education, but I'm at a loss for words. I am grateful to God and to Truett Seminary for funding my education. Ronnie and I would never have been able to put me through graduate school on our own. And, thanks to all of you who have been a source of great encouragement throughout this four year process.

Many have asked what I will do next. The honest answer is that I'm not really sure. There are only three certainties:

(1) I will move to Hamilton, OH with Ronnie next week and enjoy being simply "Ron's wife" for the next few months. Ronnie and I have never been married without me as a full-time student and I think he deserves some time without the competition of professors, papers, and books.

(2) I will serve the Lord at Liberty Heights Church in Liberty Township, OH, in whatever capacity God desires. At first, I know I will spend much of my time with Ronnie in the youth department, but I look forward to whatever else God (or Pastor Rick) may have in store for me. Also, I will be speaking at their upcoming women's conference, February 28-29.

(3) I will seek and pray for what God would have me do about further education. I believe I should pursue a Ph.D. somewhere in some aspect of theology or biblical studies, but I need wisdom as to what, where, and when. I know that as I seek wisdom, God will provide it.

Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup;
you have made my lot secure.
The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
surely I have a delightful inheritance.
I will praise the Lord, who counsels me;
even at night my heart instructs me.
I keep my eyes always on the Lord.
With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken...
You make known to me the path of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence,
with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
- Psalm 16:5-8, 11

6 comments:

Cap'n said...

Congratulations on that fancy degree! We enjoy your blog.

Strider said...

Congratulations from fans in Middle Earth.

Art said...

Congratulations. I know that God will bless you, but moreover that He will bless many through you.

I pray for humble greatness in this next chapter of your life. May it be full of joy and depth.

Steve said...

So, do people still get showered with credit cards coming out of grad school like they did thirty years ago? Anyway, congratulations!!

Kerygma said...

God's blessings on you and your husband, Emily. You are an immensely talented, gifted and insightful servant of God, and I will look forward with delight to the next chapters of your story.

UnderMidnight said...

Enjoy the husband of your youth.

Breathe life as deeply as the scent of lilacs in spring.

Listen to bad poetry in Bohemian coffee shops.

Go to a jazz bar and stay until last call.

Chew the meat off the bone and let the juice run down your chin.