Monday, November 26, 2007

Kyrie Eleison


No, my friends, that's not an ostrich with its head in the sand. That's me...in a symbolic depiction of my present state of mind. I am desperately trying to finish up my last semester in seminary. I have two major papers due this week, one for tomorrow and one for Thursday. I am swamped. And, all I want to do is hide. Repeat after me: Kyrie Eleison. Kyrie Eleison. Kyrie Eleison.

P.S. Kyrie Eleison is Greek for "Lord, have mercy." It is a very old expression, organic to the scripture and used constantly in most Christian liturgies, especially those of our sisters and brothers in the Orthodox tradition.

4 comments:

UnderMidnight said...

There's no place like home.
*click click*
There's no place like home.
*click click*

Tim said...

I remember those days. I hope that your papers are done with clarity, finesse, and everything else that those profs deems needful.

Know this: "This to shall pass."

At least in the sense that the papers will be over. However, I'm afraid that the "swamped" feeling may return some time in the future.

Be Well and Finish Strong!

Tim Dahl

greg.w.h said...

Emily:

My choir teacher during my freshman year in high school in Jakarta, Indonesia had her Concert Choir sing Schubert's Mass in G for (part of) our spring concert. It had a remarkable impact on me in several ways:

1. I'm of course an SBC MK. So I had never heard seen mass administered nor heard any of the traditional liturgies. She had the man that she asked to conduct the concert teach us the meaning of the various phrases as we learned the Mass.

2. After much repetition, I enjoyed memorizing all of the tenor parts in Latin (or in this case, the Greek antecedents). When I hear the music today I can remember entire passages.

3. My biology teacher--one of those itinerant international school teachers--came up to me after the performance he attended and told me that it reminded him of his Catholic upbringing and brought him to tears.

When I hear "Christe Eleison" or "Kyrie Eleison", those words come to me in the passionate phrasing of Schubert's Mass. My soul calls out for mercy and senses that God is quite delighted to have mercy on me...just as he had mercy on me by introducing me to this mysterious, almost exotic world of the Latin Mass.

He moves in mysterious ways.

Greg Harvey

Steve said...

Bach did his own magic with Kyrie Eleison, perhaps in the Magnificat. Everyone should do a turn in a choir working up a Handel or Bach oratorio.

Then going home & singing parts to cats, of course!